Preaching in an Empty Room
If you've been meeting as a church virtually for the last few weeks, you know the feeling of trying to put together a service and a sermon and record everything without the key dynamic to our personal ministry: people. We do ministry with people, among people, for people, before people. Everything about our lives is centered around people. Even in our study and preparation, it's always in the dynamic of people.
So when we find ourselves preaching with a limited support crew or ourselves with an iPhone, it can be really difficult to push through. After two Sundays preaching virtually, I can say that it is twice as tiring to preach to an empty room than it is a full room. At least in a full room you have synergy, feedback, a few "Amen!" comments. When it's just you, all you've got is the red dot on your camera or whoever is helping you tape. Then what?
Our reality is that for the next several weeks we'll be doing this virtual thing. It's going to be after Easter at least before things return to any sense of normal. Maybe longer. So what can we do to preach with effectiveness in an empty room?
1. Look at the camera. Easy to say, harder to do. But it's part of training our eyes to look at the camera, not at ourselves on the screen. We want to make eye contact, which is natural. So when the eyes are the selfie camera, that's where we go. But it creates disconnect with the camera. If it helps, put a sticker or something above (not on) your camera on the phone or whatever you're using the record as a visual reminder.
3. Engage and smile. Warm expressions on your face go a long way to show you're connecting with your audience on camera. Watch your local news tonight and see what kind of face they have. They're warm. They're engaging. They use their eyes to communicate empathy, concern, listening, and attention. When we're on a stage or a platform, our facial expressions are less important because there's a physical distance from us and the pews or chairs. But on camera, where we're a foot away from the lens, it's a lot harder to hide our facial expressions!
4. Treat it like a broadcast, not a service. I get it. We want to try to keep everything normal so we try to just do what we'd normally do on a Sunday, throw a camera or two in the room, and pretend like everything is usual. But it's not. Churches that typically share their in-person services may have some people who are used to the experience, but the reality for almost all of us is that we're all in the same boat. So everyone knows we're preaching to an empty or sparse room. And our routines and rhythms are so off kilter anyway that we should treat our virtual services as a broadcast first. So we don't look around the room like a normal service, and I'd even argue we should pull out from taping in our main worship areas.
5. Ask around. Find out what other people are doing and pick their brains for their ideas. Since none of us took the elective in seminary of pastoring through a global pandemic, we need to look at each other as helps and resources. Text, call, email, and ask around of your pastor friends to see what they're doing to connect and how they're preaching in an empty room.
6. Keep trying. The important thing, more than anything else, is to keep trying. Whatever you do is better than nothing. And however you do what you're doing is pushing the plow. Keep it up. Don't get discouraged. Don't compare to the megachurch pastor who's used to being on camera or the church with slick production. And don't demean the little church with poor quality who is trying their best to connect with their congregation. We're all on the same team. And we're all in this together.
4/21/2020 04:17:13 am
I think that preaching into an empty wrong is the perfect title for this blog. It is because not a lot of people are paying attention to it. I hate the fact that people do not understand how great this blog of yours actually is. There are tons of people who would love to go and and learn, but they are not actually making the most out of their time. I hope that this helps you in the future, man.
10/16/2020 01:48:43 pm
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR HARD EARNED FUNDS TO THE WRONG HANDS?
10/16/2022 11:54:51 pm
Please everyone should be careful and stop being fooled by all these brokers and account managers, they scammed me over $ 140,000 of my investment capital, they kept on requesting for extra funds before a withdrawal request can be accepted and processed, in the end, I lost all my money. All efforts to reach out to their customer support desk had declined, I found it very hard to move on. God so kind I followed a broadcast that teaches on how scammed victims can recover their fund, I contacted the email provided for consultation, I got feedback after some hours and I was asked to provide all legal details concerning my investment, I did exactly what they instructed me to do without delay, to my greatest surprise I was able to recover my money back including my profit which my capital generated. I said I will not hold this to myself but share it to the public so that all scammed victims can get their funds back, you can as well hire him today by Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org whatsapp +31685248506 Telegramm: +31685248506
10/25/2022 04:48:04 pm
I understand that it is very important to trust your partner. i did the-same for many many years. 25 years of marriage only to find out my husband had another family with which he was equally married to the woman and the kids were as old as mine. it was a terrible experience, but i feel alot better knowing than not knowing. i plan to gradually blend in and look forward to the two families connecting and understanding each other for the kids. thanks to this hacker who i met, he helped me hack into my husbands phone and social media where i went through his messages and found out. i advice everybody to try thesame, this life is too short to live without the truth about the partner you are spending it with. this is their contacts, i hope this helps someone here.
1/7/2023 02:15:12 pm
1/24/2023 04:04:37 pm
I’ve been playing the lottery since I was 21, the highest amount I've ever won is $500 and I decided to get help online on how to win the lottery massively. I met Dr Donald who gives out numbers to win the lottery with his spells. I communicated with him and he told me what I needed to know about how the spell will be done for me and I accepted. After 96 hours, he gave me the numbers and instructed me on how to play the lottery. I was shocked when I was notified that I had won $1,000,000 in the lottery and I couldn't believe my eyes thinking I was dreaming but it was all real and happening. Getting rich is never by luck, it's something we all have to work for, people have been playing the lottery for years and have never won. If you want to win big, I recommend you to Dr Donald, contact him via his details below:
2/7/2023 01:07:45 am
Hello everyone, Wizard Wierzbicki Programmer are the only true and guaranteed cryptocurrency recovery professionals. I want to tell you about how I almost had my life ruined by a man who conned me out of $135,000 after I fell for a romantic hoax. I fell for this con, and it damaged my connection with my family. My life savings were stolen by a scammer I met on a dating website while he seemed to be in trouble, and I assisted him numerous times since I was continually sending money through Bitcoin. As a result, I had to declare bankruptcy. I borrowed money to help him, but I later learned that he was a con artist. After a buddy of mine showed me an article about Wizard Wierzbicki Programmer Website and Emai: (info @ wizardwierzbicki . com) services and how they can help you recover your stolen Bitcoin from these con artists, I was able to get through everything. I got in touch with them, and to my astonishment, they quickly retrieved the most of what I had lost. If you find yourself in such a predicament, get in touch with them right away. via WhatsApp:+18452078532 WhatsApp:+49 1575 8718600 Email: WIZARDWIERZBICKIPROGRAMMER@GMAIL.COM All Thanks to Wizard Wierzbicki Programmer
2/27/2023 09:10:21 am
LOST YOUR CRYPTO? YOU WANT TO RECOVERY YOUR STOLEN BTC? CONTACT HACKANGELS.
3/1/2023 02:08:53 pm
I’m Richard Tate from Lincoln, Nebraska. I retired from my truck business some months back, but I decided to invest some part of my money into the stock market, I found a broker online who told me about Cryptocurrency and Bitcoins. I started small and when I saw my profits going up, I invested even more money which was in Bitcoins to the tune of about $178,000. I tried withdrawing my investments but I couldn’t access my wallet and I found out that I have been logged out everywhere. I almost lost my life and my health was deteriorating until I saw a post about SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE, a funds recovery company. I contacted SPYWEB the following day and met all their requirements, to my surprise, SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE was able to recover all my investments in 72 hours. This has come to my attention that there are so many other people who are going through similar issues, I highly recommend SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE for all your fund's recovery. SPYWEB CYBER SERVICE can be contacted via E-mail: SPYWEB(@)CYBERDUDE.COM & CONTACT(@)SPYWEB.TECH
Tracking Down Lost Bitcoins and Other Cryptos: Fast without wasting time Contact: WhtsAp. (+1805)454 7018 Eml. (email@example.com), Should you need to support recovery of your lost or stolen bitcoin, require help with a wrong password, trying to obtain cryptocurrency transferred to the wrong wallet address, or believe your wallet has been compromised, get in touch with GHOST CHAMPION HACKER . I lost over 412,040 $ after participating in a SINCODE binary scam. The money I fraudulently lost has been recovered thanks to the superb work of GHOST CHAMPION HACKER . They Working with the new digital software that recovers funds without a twinkle of eyes beep GHOST CHAMPION HACKERS is trustworthy you can always contact them via
Transparency is the key in business and human dealings, i got Albert Gonzalez Wizard, on here thinking that he was one of these fakers but to my surprise he turned out to be the realest i have ever met, i hired him for two different jobs restoration of my BTC i sent to fake investment company and monitering accress to see what my boyfriend is doing on his Whatassp and he did both perfectly. If you are still contacting unethical and fake hackers then you will be a clown after seeing me drop this comment about a true hacker..His contact informations is Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com WhatsApp: +31685248506 Telegram: +31685248506... Goodbye……
3/25/2023 08:47:29 am
Dobrý den, s cílem pomoci vám překonat různé finanční starosti a bez obtíží čelit vašim cílům do budoucna a při všech vašich přípravách a nákupech vánočních svátků předkládám nabídku půjčky a úvěru lidem v potíže nebo chtějí pomoci vyřešit některé z jejich finančních problémů nebo zahájit podnikání. Nabízím půjčky od 30 000 do 90 000 000 Kč na dobu splácení 1 až 70 let maximálně s úrokovými sazbami 2% a pro více informací o mé nabídce mi prosím napište nebo kontaktujte mě e-mailem:firstname.lastname@example.org
5/14/2023 01:35:02 pm
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR BITCOIN IS STOLEN OR LOST?
Leave a Reply.
Scott M. Douglas
A blog about leadership and the lasting legacy of family ministry.