It's always nice to take a step back and think about the previous year. We're so often cynical and jaded because everything around us is so negative. So here's what I'm glad for from 2018:
1. My son got baptized - This summer I had the joy to baptize Sam after he gave his life to Jesus at VBS. Everything else this year is a distant second to knowing my little guy will be forever with Jesus.
2. Carrie and I hit 10 years - It's hard to believe October 18, 2008 was 10 years ago! Since then we've moved twice, bought two houses, had two awesome kids, both finished doctorates, and so much more.
And we got to celebrate it on a Disney trip without the kids. Totally different experience, and well worth it!
3. We took the Disney plunge - Our family went all in on living in Florida and bought Disney passes. It's really the Happiest Place on Earth, and lives up to the hype every time we go.
4. Our church adopted new guiding documents - I know policy documents are as exciting as paint drying, but this was such a big deal to put policy and protocol in place. My goal has been at Emmanuel to leave her better than I found her.
5. We became a homeschool family - After weighing for years how we could and if we should, we made the commitment to homeschool Sam (and soon Gray) through Classical Conversations. We're so grateful for the dear friends we've made, how Sam is doing with his learning, and the flexibility it gives our family.
6. I joined the Life & Ministry Podcast as a co-host - My friends Dan & Michael invited me to join as a co-host on their weekly podcast. We have fun, we laugh, we talk ministry. Check it out and subscribe on iTunes!
7. Trunk or Treat - Our church got all-in on an awesome chance to reach out into our community. We had fun, our people got behind it with decorating their cars (and themselves) for the night. Hopefully this is something we're able to do next year.
8. Carrie is a rock star - Carrie got the chance to be a part of the writing team for Vacation Bible School for Lifeway. I'm so proud of her and so excited people around the country will be reading her material!
What are you grateful for from 2018?
Scott M. Douglas
A blog about leadership and the lasting legacy of family ministry.